Skip to Content
Call Us For A Free Consultation 718-340-3385

Who Will Pay My Property Damage After an Accident?


At the Law Office of Seni Popat, P.C., we believe in helping clients throughout the greater Queens area recover maximum compensation for their car accidents. One of the most common questions our attorneys get asked is: who will pay my property damage after an accident? Keep reading to find out who is responsible for paying if you have been involved in a serious car accident.

Property Damage Claims

If the other driver was at-fault for the accident, then you can file a claim to recover compensation for the damage inflicted on your vehicle. If your claim is successful, then the other driver’s insurance company will be responsible for paying for the following damages:

  • Repair costs
  • Fair market value of the vehicle if it’s a total loss
  • Rental car costs
  • Replacement value of vehicle upgrades

You can also file a claim for lost or damaged personal property that was in your vehicle at the time of the accident, such as cell phones, laptops, sunglasses, or jewelry.

How Do I Prove Fault?

To recover compensation for your property damage, you will need to prove the other party was at fault for the accident. Without adequate proof, the insurance company will deny the claim and you’ll be on the hook for the property damage bill. This is why it is crucial to take pictures of the scene and damage you sustained following a car accident.

When you take pictures of car accident damage, make sure you do the following:

  • Take pictures of both vehicles to compare damage
  • Photograph the area around the accident
  • Take pictures of any broken parts or glass that fell from the vehicles
  • Get pictures of the cars’ positions after the accident
  • Take pictures of any personal property that was damaged or destroyed

You should also write down the following details while they are still fresh in your head:

  • The date and time the accident occurred
  • Weather conditions at the time of the accident
  • The names and badge numbers of any responding police officers
  • The other driver’s insurance information

Get Help From a Dedicated Car Accident Lawyer Today

Do you have more questions about recovering compensation for your accident damages? If so, get in touch with our seasoned legal professionals at Law Office of Seni Popat, P.C. to discuss the details of your situation. We have represented hundreds of clients who need help resolving legal matters, and we will gladly use our experience to protect your best interests.

To set up a free, no-obligation consultation with our accident attorney, call (718) 340-3385 today.