Queens Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Attorney
Eliminate Your Debt! Call (718) 340-3385 for a Free Consultation.
If you have debts that you are unsure how you are going to pay back, and the amount you owe just keeps growing, Chapter 7 bankruptcy may provide you with a chance to start over. However, choosing to file for this type of bankruptcy requires serious consideration.
At the Law Office of Seni Popat, we can provide a free consultation to evaluate your current financial situation and determine if you qualify for Chapter 7. If this form of debt relief seems like the right option for you, our Queens Chapter 7 bankruptcy attorney can guide you through the process.
Call the Law Office of Seni Popat, P.C. at (718) 340-3385 or contact us online to discover how we can help you eliminate debt. Our Chapter 7 lawyer in Queens has offices in Deer Park, Brooklyn, and Hicksville. Services available in Hindi and English.
Some Chapter 7 Basics
- The 6 Most Pervasive Myths About Bankruptcy
- What are the Differences between Filing for Chapter 7 vs. Chapter 13
- NYC Taxi Medallion Bankruptcy. Chapter 7 or Chapter 13?
What Debts Does Chapter 7 Eliminate?
Chapter 7 bankruptcy is a way to discharge certain debts. When a debt has been removed, it means that a creditor cannot hold you personally liable for the debt or carry out collections actions against you. It also brings an end to creditor calls and wage garnishment and prevents foreclosure actions.
Chapter 7 bankruptcy eliminates a variety of unsecured debts, including:
- Credit card debt
- Medical bills
- Personal loans
- Lawsuit debts/civil judgments
- Tax debt (in some cases)
Which Debts Cannot Be Discharged?
Debts such as criminal fines, child support, alimony, or student loans, cannot be discharged via Chapter 7. Still have questions? Our Queens bankruptcy attorney can help you understand which of your debts will be eliminated.
Eligibility for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
To qualify for Chapter 7, your income must be less than the median income in the state of New York. Those who earn more than the median amount must pass the means test. The means test takes into account your income, expenses, and size of your family to determine if you have enough disposable income to pay back your debts. If you do not have enough to repay your debts, you pass the test and qualify.
There are several circumstances that could make a person ineligible to file, including:
- Failure to attend credit counseling
- Previous attempts at defrauding creditors or the bankruptcy court
- Having a debt discharged under Chapter 7 within the past eight years
- Having a debt discharged under Chapter 13 within the past six years
Advantages of Filing for Chapter 7
Chapter 7 is the most common type of bankruptcy because it erases most debt in only a few short months. It may be beneficial if you want to erase your overwhelming debt as quickly as possible.
Below are more benefits of filing for Chapter 7:
- The process from filing to discharging takes 2 to 3 months
- You may be able to stop paying your credit card and other payments immediately when you file for bankruptcy
- Bankruptcy can stop wage garnishments
- Bankruptcy can help get rid of deficiency balance from a repossessed car
- Bankruptcy can help get rid of medical bills
- Your credit score may go up after you file for bankruptcy
- You may be able to keep the exempt property (house and car) and the salary or wages you earn after you file
- You may be able to receive a new line of credit and credit cards within a few months after filing for bankruptcy
- Chapter 7 doesn't require you to have debts of any specific amount to file for relief
Get on the Path to Recovery. Call a Chapter 7 Attorney in Queens.
At the Law Office of Seni Popat, the priority of our bankruptcy attorney is to help our clients through difficult situations. Our team works closely with clients to eliminate debt and get a fresh financial start. If you believe filing for Chapter 7 is right for you or if you are considering bankruptcy and want to explore your options, reach out to our firm today. Our Queens bankruptcy attorney is ready to answer any of your questions!
Take the first step toward a debt-free future. Call our Chapter 7 bankruptcy attorney at (718) 340-3385. We serve clients from Queens to Nassau County!
I had the pleasure of working with Seni Popat. He is a Top Professional!- I Gie – via Google
Law Office of Seni Popat is the place to get help.- Willie Kornegay - via Google
He is very knowledgeable, professional, helpful and was readily available to guide me and advise me through the filing process.- James Potter - via Google
Seni was absolutely fantastic.- Nicole H. - via Google
Mr. Seni Popat is THE BEST bankruptcy lawyer there is.- Yasmeen Smith - via Google