Queens Nursing Home Abuse Attorney
When Elder Care Facilities Fail, We Make Them Pay
Abuse and neglect within nursing homes are more prevalent than many people realize. Recent studies indicate that 1 in 10 senior citizens is abused in elder care facilities. If that is not alarming enough, some reports show that only 1 in 14 cases of elder abuse is actually reported.
If you are the victim of nursing home abuse in Queens, the Law Office of Seni Popat is here to fight for the justice and compensation you deserve. Do not wait another minute to contact our reputable personal injury lawyer. We have effectively handled hundreds of cases, and we have the knowledge and tenacity to represent you.
Can You Sue a Nursing Home?
Nursing homes, rest homes, convalescent homes, and elder care facilities can be held legally responsible for any acts of negligence that result in injuries to their patients or residents. These facilities are to ensure that the residence remains free of hazards and must provide the necessary supervision and assistance devices to prevent accidents.
The New York court system takes elder abuse seriously and punishes it severely. Sometimes the awards against nursing homes are in the millions. If you think you or your loved one is the victim of nursing home abuse, our experienced personal injury attorney can help you file a lawsuit.
Nursing homes can be sued on a number of grounds, including:
- General neglect
- Negligent supervision
- Improper hiring
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Malnutrition or dehydration
- Financial abuse
- Failure to comply with nursing home statutes
- Breach of contract
- Failure to keep the facility free of hazards
- Failure to provide adequate medical treatment
Warning Signs of Elder Abuse
Not all nursing home abuse situations are the same, but there are a few things to watch out for if your loved one resides in a nursing home.
Below are common signs of elder or nursing home abuse and neglect:
- Abandonment - unsanitary living conditions; dirty clothes or bedding; lack of medical treatment.
- Emotional Abuse - unexplained changes in personality or mood; refusing to see family or friends; fearful behavior; fear of interacting with staff; hesitation to speak openly.
- Financial Exploitation - missing items; unexplained changes in living arrangements (new location, new roommate, etc.); unexplained change in spending habits; unexplained financial transactions; discrepancy between your loved one’s standard of living and assets.
- Neglect - bedsores; unpaid bills; lacking basic necessities (food, water, shelter); poor hygiene; malnourishment
- Physical Abuse - unexplained injuries such as bruises, burns, and broken bones; more frequent use of medical providers
- Sexual Abuse - unexplained genital pain or injury; development of STDs
If you suspect that your loved one is being abused, do not hesitate to reach out to our Queens nursing home abuse lawyer at Law Office of Seni Popat, P.C.. Attorney Seni is backed by years of experience and he is prepared to answer all of your questions about how to protect your loved one. Complete an online form or call (718) 340-3385 as soon as possible.
How to Report Nursing Home Abuse
If you suspect your loved one is being abused or neglected in their nursing home in New York, call the police or Adult Protective Services (APS). To report adult abuse within New York State with APS, call 1-844-697-3505 between 8:30 AM and 8:00 PM. Visit the site for more information.
Should I Call the Police or Adult Protective Services for Elder Abuse?
If your loved one is in imminent physical danger or immediate health risk, contact the police. They may remove your loved one from the scene and relocate them to a safe location such as another care facility. If a crime was committed, the authorities will conduct an investigation.
If the abuse is less urgent, contacting Adult Protective Services (APS) is an option. With APS, you do not need to prove the abuse in order to make a report. APS investigates and assesses reports of abuse, neglect, and exploitation of vulnerable adults within the community. They typically work with social services to address the health and safety of the elder abuse victim.
Speak to a Reliable Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Queens
When you turn to the Law Office of Seni Popat, you can rest assured that your case is in good hands. Our Queens nursing home abuse lawyer offers the personalized legal assistance clients deserve.
In my time of need, he and his team was extremely professional.- Isaek E - via Google
Omg Seni is the TRUTH!!!- Deandra Lindor C. - via Google
Mr. Seni Popat and his team, at once, put me at ease, explicitly explaining and preparing me.- Former Client - via Google
Seni Popat and his firm made the entire process so smooth that my initial worries began to dissipate.- Daniel De Leon - via Google
Seni Popat was helpful, informative, knowledgeable and kind.- Sweet Face - via Google